Re: Support for multiple SSL back-ends, first infrastructure changes

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 15:20:03 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005, Richard Atterer wrote:

>> Why would this make libcurl binary incompatible?
>
> A binary which was built using a monolithic libcurl does (obviously) not
> link against lib2, so when it is run on a system with a modular libcurl, the
> run-time linker will not find the symbols provided by lib2. :-|

Right, but a binary - as in an application using libcurl - will never use
symbols provided by lib2 directly, only libcurl will do that. So, if the
binary is linked to use libcurl it should do just that.

If an application is told to link with libcurl and lib2, it will use symbols
as provided by them. In the Debian case it would use symbols from both, in the
monolithic case it won't have to use lib2 at all since there will be no
symbols left to get "resolved" by it.

I'll admit that I'm not quite sure how the run-time linker will act if an
application is linked and claimed to need a lib and then the lib doesn't exist
and no symbols are needed from it...