Re: libcurl, squid proxy, failing multipart post

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 20:07:14 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 5 May 2005 man_at_tfhs.net wrote:

> if i do not have that header enabled in libcurl, then proxyauth on
> multi-part post does not seem to work. headers are sent without auth, squid
> responds with a 407 (and libcurl prints that out when verbosity is turned
> up) but libcurl then sends the post body anyway, and then hangs, waiting for
> timeout.

This sounds like a bug. Do you know when/why it hangs? Any way I can repeat
this scenario?

> if i enable Expect: then libcurl reacts better, catching the 407, and
> re-transmitting the headers with auth info added. squid connects to the
> httpd, sends the headers, and then libcurl has begun sending the post body.
> i do not see anywhere that the Expect:100 was ever sent by either my server
> or squid, so the header has changed libcurl's processing, even if it was not
> received???

"Expect: 100-continue" is sent by the client, the server is then supposed to
send a 100 Continue response.

But the server may not do it, so libcurl times out (rather quickly) and sends
the post anyway.

> i guess it might have something to do with http 1.0 vs 1.1?

I don't think http 1.0 had the Expect: 100 stuff at all and libcurl always
sends 1.1 requests (unless you've told it to use 1.0).

> my end goal here is to be able to use this app thru as many proxy servers as
> possible, but the variety of proxies and auth schemes out there (plus http
> 1.0/1.1) are getting me confused. how should i configure this, or what
> options do i need to expose in my config file so that these can be changed
> in the field?

libcurl should deal with all proxies fine without you having to adjust at all,
I believe.