linking statically using MS Visual C

From: Jim Napier <jnapier_at_urchin.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 12:43:44 -0700

Since I upgraded to 7.13.1 from 7.11.1 and started adding -DCURL_STATICLIB
to my cl.exe CFLAGS options, in addition to my app.exe file I also see an
app.lib and an app.exp file that are now created but never used to be
there. This occurs during the linking phase and the linker now prints out a
message about creating the files that it didn't used to display. Here's a
sample of the link command I'm using:

link.exe -nologo -subsystem:console -machine:I386 -out:dist/bin/app.exe
object1.obj object2.obj libcurl.lib

Any idea why this changed? And what is the significance of the new files?

Thanks,
Jim