Re: certificates distribution with commercial client application

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 10:07:58 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004, Biker Conrad wrote:

> Do you know if it is legal to distribute the certificates extracted from
> Netscape with a commercial client application?

I don't know for sure, but I would assume you can. I don't think Netscape (or
more recently Mozilla) own these certs, they are just copies of certs from
various companies that they collect and bundle.

I've tried to figure out the status of the Mozilla ones since I'm pondering on
including them in upcoming releases, but the philosophical reasoning above is
about as far as I've come.

To be really sure, you'd need to consult a lawyer I guess.