Re: PUT/POST with Auth Done Right(?)

From: Jamie Lokier <jamie_at_shareable.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 17:21:53 +0000

David Byron wrote:
> Just to make sure I understand the case you're looking for...
>
> - IIS 6.0
> - HTTP keepalives turned on
> - POST of a large file
> - some notes about where the delays are so we can guess what IE is
> sending
>
> Do you need the HTTP headers, or the ethereal trace, or both?
>
> My IIS 6.0 server currently has a limit on filesize of something less
> than 1MB. I'm hoping to not have to change that, which I think means
> you need the ethereal trace, yes?

<1MB is fine.

The test is whether IIS 6.0 transmits the 401 response before
receiving all of the request, under a condition where

You can't tell that from the headers, and you can't tell that just
from the delays seen in IE (because IIS 6.0 may transmit it early but
IE may ignore it until transmitting all of the request).

To test that clearly, a large enough file is needed so that (a) the
file takes a while to transmit, so there is plenty of time for the
early response to be visible on the network instead of being delayed
by swapping on the server and other delays; (b) if IIS 6.0 is very
smart it would behave differently for large and small requests; we
want to see the large-request behaviour.

Therefore:

     - A large file that takes at least a few seconds to transmit.
       It doesn't have to be >1MB so long as it gives the test's answers.

An ethereal trace gives a clear answer. The HTTP headers alone don't.

We'd still need the ethereal trace even if the file was larger than
1MB, because you can't tell what happens just from the headers or from
delays seen only from using IE.

-- Jamie