RE: PUT/POST with Auth Done Right(?)

From: David Byron <DByron_at_everdreamcorp.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 08:16:00 -0800

On Tue, 8 Nov 2004, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> > It would be great if IIS 6 does the right thing and sends 401/407
> > immediately: then you can just tell people who don't like
> > the send-twice bandwidth wastage to upgrade IIS.
>
> I don't think it does. I don't remember the exact details,
> but if David can't provide one of his excellent logs for
> this case I think we can dig up some useful info from the
> list archives from the previous time we had to bite this
> dilemma.

Just to make sure I understand the case you're looking for...

- IIS 6.0
- HTTP keepalives turned on
- POST of a large file
- some notes about where the delays are so we can guess what IE is
sending

Do you need the HTTP headers, or the ethereal trace, or both?

My IIS 6.0 server currently has a limit on filesize of something less
than 1MB. I'm hoping to not have to change that, which I think means
you need the ethereal trace, yes?

-DB