Re: Re: so is it possible to reference(aka include) libcurl into vb.net or what?

From: Casey ODonnell <caseyodonnell_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 09:57:37 -0400

Two quick comments...

1.) Ask your question to VB.NET without really saying, "I'm using
libcurl." Try, "I have this DLL with X and Y exported functions. How
do I call them from VB.NET?" You may be in for one heck of a time, as
you'll need "C" functions for your callbacks, and on Windows using a
DLL, you MUST you call-backs for writing files...

2.) Compiling libcurl though not trivial (I'm guessing) would be a
matter of changing the make file ("Makefile.vc6") for VS.NET. It may
work as is...who knows. Give it a shot. Once I get back from my
confereence abroad, I may look into making a Makefile.vc7...

Longer comment...

What I would suggest you do is think about a wrapper for libcurl
(another DLL) that you or someone else would have to write with C/C++.
 Have that DLL provide some exported functions (or classes) that VB is
actually capable of using well. You're sort of talking about apples
and oranges here. libcurl is a C library, it uses C conventions, and
expects you to at least be able to conform to those conventions.
VB.NET is not only an interpreted language (yes, I know it 'compiles'
...but that is another issue entirely), but a language thatt has no
real mechanism for ensuring that your code complies to C conventions.
libcurl's whole premise of wrapping the hard stuff and leaving the
easy details (reading/writing/setting options) for us just doesn't fit
the VB model.

Good luck.

CKO

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 08:45:19 -0400, Alex <windeagle_at_devilsplayground.net> wrote:
> > I think you should go seek help in a forum that knows lots about vb.net.
> We
> > can help you with all the libcurl details you can ask, but this is not a
> very
> > good place to ask vb.net questions.
<SNIP>

--