Re: http resume

From: Eduardo García <garedagmad_at_telefonica.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 18:09:42 +0100

At 16:08 03/03/2004, you wrote:
>On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Eduardo =?iso-8859-1?Q?García?= wrote:
>
> > This is what I tested, and I am sending you the headers as get by
> > VERBOSE+DebugFunction (I have shorted binary part of debug dump, keeping
> > only the very first bytes in order to show if downloaded bytes resume from
> > file-beginning or from "resumed-byte"):
> >
> > 1) Begin downloading the file and abort the downloading after 4Kb:
> > curlDebug1.before.log
> > 2) (Try to) Resume downloading with curl-default-pragma:no-cache header,
> > and abort the downloading after another
> > 4Kb: curlDebug2_without_cache.before.log
> > (I got the beginning of the file instead of resumed bytes)
>
>Now, hold it right there! ;-)
>
>It this attempt what can be seen in the logfile you named
>"curlDebug2_without_cache.before.log" ?

Yes it is. I have only show you a few bytes of the begin of the downloaded
chunk, but you can see they aren't the proper ones, they are the beginning
of the file again, althoug headers seem to be right.
That's why my annoyance.

>If that is the case, then I'd say that your server is doing it wrong. It
>clearly responds with headers claiming to be a resumed transfer and it
>identifies which part it sends. If that is not the right part, then your
>server is behaving badly.

It seems to be, but the server is a Microsoft-IIS/5.0 as you can read in
headers.
Standard enough for expecting correct behaviours, shouldn't it be?

Well, as a matter of fact I have now also test to download a file on that
server with IExplorer, SaveTargetAs...., unplug network cable, and plug it
again after the error and repeat the download, IExplorer resumes the
downloading at the unplug-point and gets an incorrect file as we get (the
file restart at the resume point).

And, what about the second part of the test?
Once you have downloaded the entire file (without errors), if you repeat
the test, the results are completely different: nothing resumed if cache is
disabled by request headers, and a perfect resume if cache is allowed.
Don't you think there is something else masking the communication and its
results ?

Thanks for your help.

Eduardo García