RE: patches to get MSVC7 to build

From: David Byron <DByron_at_everdreamcorp.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 07:57:03 -0800

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Gisle Vanem wrote:

> "David Byron" <DByron_at_everdreamcorp.com> said:
>
> > +/* MSVC 7 or greater is required for IPv6 */
> > +#if defined(_MSC_VER) && (_MSC_VER < 1300) && defined(ENABLE_IPV6)
> > +#error "IPv6 requires MSVC 7"
> > +#endif
>
> This is not right. I have MSVC6 (_MSC_VER = 1200) and have no
> problems building IPv6 from cvs-sources.

I'm fine wih leaving it out. I don't need to build IPv6 at all. It doesn't
work for me, but that's OK.

> Looks like your SDK headers are incomplete. My <ws2tcpip.h> is
> rev 0.4 from 1996. It has NI_MAXHOST and socklen_t. If you don't
> have those, define them in your CFLAGS.

Could be, but the comment at the top of ws2tcpip.h from my MSVC 6
installation also says

Rev 0.4 Dev 15, 1996

And, no socklen_t, nor NI_MAXHOST. In a shocking move, the comment at the
top of ws2tcpip.h from my MSVC 7 installation says the same thing, but has
both socklen_t and NI_MAXHOST. I love Microsoft.

An alternative might be to use the existence of NI_MAXHOST as a way to
differentiate the two, but I'm really more interested in removing the
WinSock 2.0 dependence. So, if we can agree on the other patches I sent,
maybe I can move forward with figuring out that IPv6 still works with the
changes I made to only depend on WinSock 2.0 for telnet?

Thanks much.

-DB