Re: default HTML header Accept: image/...

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 23:50:21 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003, Giuseppe Attardi wrote:

> I noticed that in http.c a default Accept header is added:
>
> Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, */*
>
> Does it make sense to add it by default?

This header was picked ages ago and was once used by one of the browsers. It
has been with us since. It never hurt me and no one reported any problems, so
it stuck.

> It almost doubles the size of a GET, and this is bad if you want to handle
> billions of requests. Moreover it sounds unlikely that the default use for
> cURL is to transfer images.

I agree that the Accept stuff (if it should be present at all) should probably
be made by the curl tool and not by the library.

> I would suggest just to drop the lines:

I agree. But there's also a large number of test cases that need to be edited,
which makes this a somewhat larger change than those few lines.

Care you write the patch?