Re: Libcurl and Ares

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 08:56:37 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003, DOMINICK C MEGLIO wrote:

> In my opinion, libcurl's ares support is rather lacking.

I don't think anyone will contradict that. It needs more work.

> There is no way to customize any directories for ares.

No comfortable way, no.

> Curl assumes ares will but in curl-X.X.X/ares though I can't seem to find
> this mentioned anywhere in the documentation.

The 'lib/README.ares' text file describes how to build libcurl with ares, and
it does mention this.

> And as I said, there is no way to customize this. Ares is a library just
> like any other, why can't I install it where ever I want?

Feel free to improve the build scripts to make it work so!

> Next, curl-config offers no way to get any information about ares support.
> It doesn't show up in --feature

Right, that's another bug.

> and the fact that I need to use -lares -Lcurl-dir/ares is not mentioned
> anywhere either.

Yet another bug.

> My program requires that curl have ares enabled, I have no real way of
> telling whether it is or not. I managed to get ares to show up in --feature
> (small patch attached).

I didn't see any patch, did you forget to attach it?

> However, making --libs show the ares library information I can not do since
> it seems to require modifying some of the scripts and I don't have automake
> installed.

I think it requires configure.ac and curl-config.in to be fixed accordingly.

> As an unrelated side-note, why does --libs give bad information?

Because it isn't perfect?

> I compiled curl with --disable-ssl yet when I look, it still has -lssl
> -lcrypto specified in --libs. Additionally, it lists -lz twice.

That -lz listed twice thing has annoyed me too.

> I configured with ./configure --disable-ipv6 --enable-ares --disable-ssl and
> curl-config --libs says:
>
> -L/usr/local/lib -lcurl -lz -lssl -lcrypto -lz
>
> It seems to me as though the only thing that should be there is the -lcurl.

-lcurl and -lz.

Looks like there's a bug somewhere.

> Additionally, if I do ./configure --enable-ares why do I get an IPv6 error?
> I didn't enable IPv6, it's being enabled by default. Shouldn't it be smart
> enough to detect that I have enabled ares and therefore not enable IPv6 by
> default? I can understand if I did ./configure --enable-ares --enable-ipv6
> it should report an error, but not if I didn't request IPv6 support.

I've made it do so because otherwise --enable-ares would disable ipv6 on hosts
that otherwise has ipv6 enabled. I chose this way, since it gives the least
surprise to the user. Now you're fully aware that you can't do ivp6 while
using ares.

> Lastly, is there any chance that the new C-Ares will be released as a
> "stable" build anytime soon?

Yes, I guess I should do that.

> It seems as though not many changes have happened to it in CVS recently, why
> not release it as 1.0? And if not, can you at least provide a like to
> Arescurl-1.0pre1 on the main download page?

Much of what I do in curl is guided by input and feedback from users. Since
very few people have said anyhing about the ares support and functionality, it
has remained in the current state. Also, I've spent considerly less time on
curl the last couple months than what I've been doing previously, due to the
recent changes in my life.

Feel free to post your patches. This is open source.