Libcurl and Ares

From: DOMINICK C MEGLIO <dcm5151_at_esu.edu>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 15:18:40 -0500

Sorry if this email appears twice, I was having difficulties with my other
email address.

In my opinion, libcurl's ares support is rather lacking. There is no way to
customize any directories for ares. Curl assumes ares will but in
curl-X.X.X/ares though I can't seem to find this mentioned anywhere in the
documentation. And as I said, there is no way to customize this. Ares is a
library just like any other, why can't I install it where ever I want?
Instead of a simply --enable-ares I think there should be a way to specify a
directory. In the setup my users will be using the directory would need to
be $(HOME)/ares, but right now I can't do this. I can change the location of
the include dir by changing CPPFLAGS, however, the library path is hard
coded, if I change LDFLAGS it still won't work. --enable-ares=($HOME)/ares
would do exactly what I need. It would then search ($ares_dir)/include for
the includes and ($ares_dir)/lib for the libraries.

Next, curl-config offers no way to get any information about ares support.
It doesn't show up in --feature, and the fact that I need to use -lares
-Lcurl-dir/ares is not mentioned anywhere either. My program requires that
curl have ares enabled, I have no real way of telling whether it is or not.
I managed to get ares to show up in --feature (small patch attached).

However, making --libs show the ares library information I can not do since
it seems to require modifying some of the scripts and I don't have automake
installed.

As an unrelated side-note, why does --libs give bad information? I compiled
curl with --disable-ssl yet when I look, it still has -lssl -lcrypto
specified in --libs. Additionally, it lists -lz twice. I configured with
./configure --disable-ipv6 --enable-ares --disable-ssl and curl-config
--libs says:

-L/usr/local/lib -lcurl -lz -lssl -lcrypto -lz

It seems to me as though the only thing that should be there is the -lcurl.

Additionally, if I do ./configure --enable-ares why do I get an IPv6 error?
I didn't enable IPv6, it's being enabled by default. Shouldn't it be smart
enough to detect that I have enabled ares and therefore not enable IPv6 by
default? I can understand if I did ./configure --enable-ares --enable-ipv6
it should report an error, but not if I didn't request IPv6 support.

Lastly, is there any chance that the new C-Ares will be released as a
"stable" build anytime soon? It seems as though not many changes have
happened to it in CVS recently, why not release it as 1.0? And if not, can
you at least provide a like to Arescurl-1.0pre1 on the main download page?

Thanks,
Dominick Meglio