Re: Performance problem

From: Stefan Sassenberg <stefan.sassenberg_at_gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:02:20 +0100

Gisle Vanem wrote:

>Not so strange because libcurl is calling gethostbyaddr() in
>ftp_pasv_verbose(). Turn off verbose-mode CURLOPT_VERBOSE) and it
>shouldn't do that.

That explains the QN=* that I didn't understand. That part of the
problem is solved. I consider reporting this to someone from the curl
team because in my environment I can't use the VERBOSE option due to
it's massive influence on my transmissions. More information below.

>BTW. Shouldn't Ares be used to do that in parallell?

What's that?

>Why 2 domain requests from different IPs? Is your box multihomed?

The machine has two networking cards because there's lots of traffic on
both of them and they are working in two separate networks.

>You box doesn't care about the "ICMP host/port unreachable" message and
>retransmit the query. Hence the long delay.
>Looks like your DNS setup is wrong.

I wouldn't say it's wrong but there's simply no DNS in my network
because I don't need one. Also I don't want to waste time with name queries.

Thank you very much, you helped me a lot. My latest measuring resulted
in 58 seconds for 100 files (instead of 20 seconds as supposed). I'll
do some network analyzing and start a new thread if I'm stuck again.

Best regards

Stefan