Re: libcurl and ares

From: codemastr <codemstr_at_ptd.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 12:46:12 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel Stenberg" <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Sent: Sunday, October 05, 2003 2:07 AM
Subject: Re: libcurl and ares

> On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, codemastr wrote:
>
> > Just curious, when 7.10.8 goes "stable", will ares be bundled with it,
or
> > will users be required to download it as a seperate package?
>
> I was going to keep it separate, in a manner similar to how we use
OpenSSL.
Right, but to me ares is kind of different. OpenSSL, and zlib for that
matter, are kind of "standard" libraries (especially in the case of zlib).
Most *nix systems either come with it by default, as a recommended package,
or are generally installed by just about every admin. On the other hand,
ares is generally not installed by default. And, even if it does happen to
be installed on the system, it's going to require the user to install the
patched version anyway.

> However, the lack of support/feedback/anything from the ares author and
the
> fact that we're getting more and more fixes done to ares (avilable in the
> curl-ares patches I keep) have started to make me consider a different
> approach. I think I'll add our version of ares to the CVS repo soon to
allow
> better tracking of our changes to it.
If you decide not to add it to the CVS, I think the next best thing would be
to maintain an ares-1.1.1+curl.tar.gz so that way at least the docs can
simply say "get the ares version from curl.sf.net/...." rather than
requiring the user to install 50 different patches. It just seems to me that
the more we do to ares, the more of a pain it is going to be to make users
install the patches. I'm sure, eventually, someone is going to get IPv6
support working in ares (I've tried myself a few times but failed
miserably), so that will be another patch people have to install. It just
seems like a good idea to try and make installing ares as painless as
possible.

Dominick Meglio