Re: Curl issues with FTPing to / directory...

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:25:33 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Philip Butler wrote:

> I have a libcurl app that needs to FTP into the '/' directory (on a Linux
> system). When I use a URL like:
>
> ftp://user:pass@ftp.domain.com/file.ext
>
> it actually FTP's into the user's directory instead of '/'.

Yes, this is what the RFCs define.

> The FTP user I have used is 'root', so it should be able to access / just
> fine (and yes, this is a test system behind a firewall, so please no
> comments about FTPing to root)

If the root's homedir is set to /, then it should login into that directory.

> When I use a URL like:
>
> ftp://user:pass@ftp.domain.com/path1/path2/file.ext
>
> it works fine.

That is not really true. This is also a URL that specifies a relative
directory from the directory you enter.

> Any clues as to why this is happening and how to get around it ??

The way to do it according to the RFC (which works with libcurl):

 ftp://user:pass@ftp.domain.com/%2ffile.ext

but libcurl also supports a double-slash like in:

 ftp://user:pass@ftp.domain.com//file.ext