Re: curl and autoconf

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 16:48:31 -0700

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 10:01:13AM +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> I'm not sure on all those tools, but I've recently struggled on the three
> machines I regularly build curl on to get them all to build fine and I've not
> yet quite understood which the lowest acceptable version of each tool is. I
> just know that the currently required versions make the build work, and I
> haven't tried working downwards to find earlier versions that work.
>
> I'm sorry if this is troublesome for you, but if you use older versions fine,
> then by all means we should lower the retrictions.

It seems that autoconf and automake are pretty tightly coupled, whereas
libtool seems to be pretty independent. I'm running now with autoconf 2.57,
automake 1.7 and libtool with success. If you're feeling daring, I'm
attaching a patch to lower the libtool requirement.

> True. I used to live with an illusion that by including the 'ltmain.sh' etc
> in there, you actually didn't need libtool installed, but I've since learned
> that it isn't true and yes, we should remove them from CVS and add that
> command to the buildconf script.

The libtool docs imply that AC_PROG_LIBTOOL in the configure script should be
enough to rebuild those files automatically, but I didn't try it.

> (Minor remark: aclocal.m4 isn't in CVS)

Oops--my mistake.

>>> Dan

www.enterpriselinuxforum.com