Re: curl and autoconf

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 10:01:13 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 8 May 2003, Dan Fandrich wrote:

> I've finally been able to track down all the RPMs of new versions of GNU
> autotools I need to build curl from CVS. The buildconf script as of a few
> days ago now checks for some pretty bleeding-edge versions. Are they
> really required, or is it just a matter of keeping up to date with the
> latest tools?

I'm not sure on all those tools, but I've recently struggled on the three
machines I regularly build curl on to get them all to build fine and I've not
yet quite understood which the lowest acceptable version of each tool is. I
just know that the currently required versions make the build work, and I
haven't tried working downwards to find earlier versions that work.

I'm sorry if this is troublesome for you, but if you use older versions fine,
then by all means we should lower the retrictions.

> One thing about the process that's not quite right is that the files
> ltmain.sh, config.guess, config.sub and aclocal.m4 are all checked in to
> CVS. These are all generated by various autotools and shouldn't be checked
> in. Instead, buildconf should be changed to run 'libtoolize --copy' to
> generate the first three files; aclocal.m4 is already generated in
> buildconf by aclocal.

True. I used to live with an illusion that by including the 'ltmain.sh' etc
in there, you actually didn't need libtool installed, but I've since learned
that it isn't true and yes, we should remove them from CVS and add that
command to the buildconf script.

(Minor remark: aclocal.m4 isn't in CVS)

www.enterpriselinuxforum.com