Performance and Nagle algorithm

From: Philip Gladstone <philip_at_okena.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 13:26:07 -0500

I was doing some testing with GETs of https:// urls with libcurl under
win32. I noticed that the Nagle algorithm gets triggered on every
request leading to a 200ms response time. Turning off Nagle
(setsockopt(,,TCP_NODELAY,,)) reduces the time to around 15 ms. THis is
a big improvement.

However, my fix was to CreateConnection in url.c to turn off Nagle just
after the call to ConnectPlease. It seems that this is probably the
wrong way of doing it and that more intelligent control of the buffering
is required.

Any thoughts?

Philip

--