Re: Asynch DNS

From: codemastr <codemstr_at_ptd.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:07:39 -0500

> Given that my vision becomes reality, you wouldn't have to care about what
> DNS is or when libcurl resolves names etc. The multi interface already
> provides mechanisms enough to work asynchronously, and I hope to one day
have
> DNS lookups embedded in this in the same way the non-blocking connects are
> today. As a multi-interface user, you don't need to know when libcurl is
> actually connecting or if it in fact is transferring data. The API and
> behavior is the same.

I know this isn't a feature that will materialize overnight, but I would
certainly like to see it in the near future, and based on the fact that a
few people have already responded to my original post, it seems like there
would be many others who would like such a feature as well. The problem is,
libdenise looks very promising, but, it seems to be at a very early state of
development. They haven't even released a beta (or alpha) version. So
presumably, you would want to wait until libdenise is stable before you add
it to libcurl. Then you would have to write all your code and wait till your
code is stable. Since, looking at the libdenise CVS repository, there
haven't been any changes made in the last 2 months, it would appear
libdenise's completion is very far off. This would mean implementing it
within libcurl would be even further off. Like I said, I'm sure this isn't
something we'll see in the next few weeks, but I would hope it would be
available say within a year. Using libdenise it doesn't look like that would
be a reality.

> > The way I'm thinking is, you want to use libdenise, well maybe I use
adns,
> > and I'd like to have adns serve all my DNS requests (for whatever
reason)

> You would need to produce a few good reasons for this first.
Well thinking about this more, I realize most of the reasons I was thinking
of could be implemented differently. I was thinking things such as set a DNS
timeout, set # of DNS retries, tell it to only retreive AAAA (IPv6 only)
tell it to retreive only A (IPv4 only), but these kind of things could
easily be implemented within curl_easy_setopt as a new set of "DNS Options".

-- codemastr