Re: Tabs in source code (not critical)

From: Andy Cedilnik <andy.cedilnik_at_kitware.com>
Date: 14 Jan 2003 11:41:59 -0500

Hi Daniel,

Here is how we solve this problem:

do cvs co CVSROOT
then you add file checkTabs:

#!/bin/tcsh
#
# checkTabs checks source code for explicit TABS
# checks only files with the following extensions: .c, .cxx, .txx,
# exits with 0, if all commited files pass the test.
# exits with 1, if any one of the tests fails
#
# checkTabs can be run as a cvs commitinfo command.
# The following commitinfo line (without the #) will run the script
# ALL $CVSROOT/CVSROOT/checkTabs
#
set failed=0
#
# skip the first arg, the directory
foreach file ( $argv[2-] )
#
# select files with extentions .txx, .cxx, .h, .html, .htm
set match=`echo $file | egrep
\[\.\]txx\$\|\[\.\]cxx\$\|\[\.\]h\$\|\[\.\]c\$`
if ( $match == "" ) continue;
set count=`grep -n " " /dev/null $file|wc -c`
set results=`expr $count \| 0`
if ( "$results" != "0" ) then
        echo
"=========================================================="
        grep -n " " /dev/null $file
        echo ""
        echo "$file has explicit TABSs."
        echo "They must be converted to SPACES(2 per TAB) before you can
commit."
        echo
"=========================================================="
        set failed=1
endif
end
exit $failed

(You could code it in korn shell or bash or whatever).

Then you add into file checkoutlist:
checkTabs cannot check out checkTabs

That is it.
We have this for tabs, windows new lines (^M), enter on last line, and
check for conflicts in the file. So people cannot commit these kind of
things.

                                Andy