Merry Christmas!

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:59:06 +0100 (MET)

Hi friends

I'll try to stay away from computers and emails as much as possible during the
two weeks that start with this upcoming weekend. I intend to relax and to
celebrate christmas and new year with (off-line) family and friends. :-)

Thus, it is time for me to look back on the past year and make a little
summary:

Summary of project curl, year 2002 (as of Dec 19th) in numbers:

  Number of mails Daniel received regarding curl: 5085
  Number of mails sent by Daniel regarding curl: 2021
  Total number of mails Daniel received: 62903
  Number of filed bug reports: 115
  Number of still open bug reports: 4
  Average time to close bug reports in days: 8.2
  Number of public releases: 9
  Number of releases, including pre-releases: 41
  Number of CVS commits: 2284
  Total number of visitors on curl.haxx.se: 706.359
  Number of curl packages downloaded from there: 250.000

The amount of releases are on a steady decline since year 2000's 14 releases
and 2001's 12. We got 50% more bug reports filed, but we closed them 1.5 days
faster in average (compared to last year). The web site gets roughly twice as
many visitors during a normal week (not counting the web site mirrors).

The amount of active developers have remained low: basicly only me. I do get
quite a large number of patches from various people though.

This year, I've done my first "real" consultancy work doing curl work and curl
scripting. I'm happy about that and I hope to be able to increase this kind of
work next year.

My plans (from my summary last year) to release a libcurl v8 was scrapped
really early this year and I have no immediate plans for that now either.

I hope to upload a final pre-xmas 7.10.3 pre-release tomorrow, for the most
impatient to play with during my absense.

7.10.3 is targeted for release in mid or late January 2003. If you have
features, patches, bugs or anything you want dealt with before the release, do
get in touch now.

As usual, please help me out by replying to questions on the lists. Also, if
you end up with some idle time, we still have a couple of unresolved bug
reports that need assistance...

Expectations for 2003:

o Go with the flow. We continue to follow what users and public want and need.
  Nothing is ever set in stone.

o More multi interface usage and maturity. It offers more power to
  applications. I do expect more bindings to offer multi-support as well.

o More minor features added. I'd like to see things like digest and NTLM
  supported.

My summary and prophesy from last year is available here:
        http://curl.haxx.se/mail/archive-2001-12/0099.html

--
      Daniel Stenberg - http://daniel.haxx.se - +46-705-44 31 77