Re: Does libcurl support chunking of downloads?

From: Rick Jones <rick_jones2_at_hp.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 10:46:01 -0800

> > Nothing prevents you from getting the same file using multiple threads (or
> > even the multi interface) using different ranges for each.
> >
> > Possible indeed. Sensible, I don't know.
>
> Actually, its a very good thing when downloading large files, as many
> servers will actually create a transfer limit when you download large
> file segments, whereas if you can keep the individual downloads small,
> you'll often get a much higher transfer speed.

I guess it is a matter of perspective/style. Optimizing for oneself, or
optimizing for the whole.

There are also times when doing mutiple transfers in parallel will
interfere with each other and cause the transfer to be even slower. If
the sum of the window sizes excedes the minimum queueing between the
client and the server, it can trigger packet losses above and beyond
normal.

rick jones

feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com  but NOT BOTH...