Re: Does libcurl support chunking of downloads?

From: Sterling Hughes <sterling_at_bumblebury.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 13:28:41 -0500

> On Sun, 24 Nov 2002, James Yang wrote:
>
> > Following the examples packaged with curl, I was able to create a program
> > that can download a file based on an URL. However, if the file is big,
> > it'd be nice to be able to open multiple streams, each one downloading the
> > file at different parts, and then combine them back after the download to
> > create the original file. Is this even possible?
>
> Nothing prevents you from getting the same file using multiple threads (or
> even the multi interface) using different ranges for each.
>
> Possible indeed. Sensible, I don't know.

Actually, its a very good thing when downloading large files, as many
servers will actually create a transfer limit when you download large
file segments, whereas if you can keep the individual downloads small,
you'll often get a much higher transfer speed.

It might be interesting to add this as an option to the command line
client (prozilla does already support this), but in the library its
pretty easy to accomplish...

-Sterling