Re: hello; planning work on digest auth

From: Soren Spies <sspies_at_apple.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 13:54:42 -0700

On Thursday, Oct 17, 2002, at 06:46 US/Pacific, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Soren Spies wrote:
>> From poking around the site and the mailing lists, I see it on the
>> TODO
>> list but the feature doesn't appear under development. If there's any
>> previous work in this area, or thoughts beyond what's on the TODO
>> page,
>> please let me know.
>
> Well, others have said about what you just said. However, none of them
> has
> ever gotten back to tell the story. I doubt anyone of them ever did
> any major
> progress in this area.

I can imagine (I got this task partly b/c there were no pressing
demands for me at the moment). If any of the previous interested
parties have @apple.com email addresses, I'd be curious to talk to
them. I didn't see anything in the archives, but I might not have been
searching all eternity if my browsing context somehow affected my
searching.

> I've also got mail from people mentioning that they would take a stab
> at the
> NTLM authentication, and as that too is challange-response oriented
> I've
> always thought the two protocols could use being developed if not
> together
> but at least with a little thought about the other for code re-use etc.

Okay, I'll read up about NTLM a bit as well to see what synergies might
be had in the future.

> I suggest you get a little oriented in the source code, and peek
> around and
> then ask specific questions. I'll be around to help.

Thanks; I'll let everyone know how it goes (per the web site, all email
will go to this list :).

--
Soren Spies
Apple Computer, Inc.