Re: Cache in curl (edited verbose junk) please express yourself... :-)

From: Nicholas Gimbrone <Nicholas.Gimbrone_at_CatchFIRESystems.Com>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 17:36:51 -0400

> What cache mechanism (if ever) would you like to be added to curl?
[x] None thanks.

curl is not a full function general purpose browser. Nor is it a intermediate
node server in the web. If caching is appropriate it can best be provided by
running the requests thru an intermediate proxy which provides the caching. No
need to complicate this utility with this support... especially since I suspect
that most of the time the real purpose for using curl would be (at some level)
defeated by a cache...

If a cache is provided, then it MUST be both easilly disabled and provide
correct answers at all times it is in use (i.e. every request must be validated
by the appropriate rules... none of this "only ask the real server once per
session" type stuff that some unnamed gui broswers inflict upon us as
defaults!).

I'm not sure what you ment by "Full blown HTTP1.1 fuzzy logic"... I'm quite
familar with HTTP/1.1 and yet do not recall anything so labeled (though perhaps
you are using this term for some of the more esoteric aspects of its caching
options).

Peace. -njg