Re: multi interface fixes

From: Steve Dekorte <stevedekorte_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 13:50:14 -0700 (PDT)

--- Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Steve Dekorte wrote:
> > Yes, that's right. 7.9.8 wasn't available when I
> downloaded it.
>
> Then your patch won't apply cleanly on 7.9.8 as
> we've fixed the same
> problems, only differently!

Maybe, I haven't tried your fixes to know if they
work. But I have tried this new version on
simultaneously downloading dozens of files at a time
and doing so continuously for a day across thousands
of files.

> messages with a callback and
> > >
> > > Could please elaborate on this a bit?
> >
> > Here's my multi.c:
>
> Ok, basicly you have a "I'm done" callback for each
> easy handle that gets
> called when that particular handles is complete,
> right?
>
> Is this really necessary, or rather what people will
> want? I thought that
> when we add a non-blocking interface, we could get
> away from the callbacks
> and add more polling kind of operations and that's
> why I made that info
> available using the *read_info()...
>
> I'm not against adding a callback like this, I just
> want a clear motivation!
> We could very well offer both ways of getting the
> information. ;-)

The biggest reasons I see are:
1. it makes implementation for the end user
simpler(less code) and the API easier to
understand(fewer docs for the callback)
2. it makes the implementation of multi simpler
3. it avoids an extra malloc and free for every
message

Steve