Re: SIGALRM and sigaction

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 08:16:50 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sun, 16 Jun 2002, Bjorn Reese wrote:

> > Anyone has any idea of how widely available sigsetjmp() and siglongjmp()
> > are?
>
> They are part of POSIX 1003.1 (IEEE 1003.1-1990) and XPG v3 (X/Open
> Portability Guide 3, 1989) so they are widely available on Unices. However,
> I doubt that they are available/usable on non-unix platforms.

Thanks for these details!

Since we now use siglongjmp() within a signal handler, the not working on
non-unix part really doesn't change much as non-unix platforms won't have
signal handlers either! ;-)

We'll need to add platform-specific solutions to make name lookups timeout
properly on non-unix systems but also for multi-threaded unix programs (as
using a signal handler for that is no good).