Re: Using libcurl with VC 6++

From: Andrew Francis <locust_at_familyhealth.com.au>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 08:54:34 +0800 (WST)

On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Feb 2002, Ron Lange wrote:
>
> (This reply is cc'ed to the libcurl mailing list, as it seems a more suitable
> list for this discussion. Please post follow-ups there!)
>
> > I have successfully compiled the libcurl, but if I link my application
> > against libcurl, I get annoying linker errors.
>
> Could you be more specific here? What kind of linker errors?
>
> > Then I follow your suggestion to exclude standart libs, as a result my app
> > (debug version, release don't build) works, only a few linker warnings
> > appear.

This sounds somewhat familiar (although without knowing the exact errors I
can't be sure that this is your problem); VC++ presents you with the
following options:

/MD link with MSVCRT.LIB /MDd link with MSVCRTD.LIB debug
/ML link with LIBC.LIB /MLd link with LIBCD.LIB debug
/MT link with LIBCMT.LIB /MTd link with LIBCMTD.LIB debug

You can also get to these options in the standard point-and-click Visual
Studio project settings. There's plenty of documentation (once you find
it!) regarding the differences in MSDN.

What's important here is that libcurl and the project you're linking with
are compiled with the same options. You can either change your
project settings or hack around in the curl makefile so that it uses the
same settings as you do. (Distributing a DLL that uses non-default
settings is probably a really bad idea, btw :)

I had lots of link errors until I "fixed" curl to use the same settings
as my project (which were actually dictated by the settings that some
other, closed-source, libraries were compiled with... grrrr...)

--
Andrew Francis
locust_at_familyhealth.com.au