Re: install

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 23:50:54 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, rick vaillancourt wrote:

[reply CC'ed to the libcurl mailing list and Jean Robertson who packages the
archive you downloaded, please direct follow-ups to the mailing list]

> I am trying to get your C++ lib installed and get an example running
> without much luck yet.

Actually, it is a C library. The difference may not be too important though.

> I have untar'd curl-ssl-7.9.2-sparc-2.6.pkg.tar[1] to a test diectory.
>
> from what I am reading on "curl.haxx.se/docs/install", the following looks
> like the appropriate steps.
>
> ./configure
> make
> make test (optional)
> make install

Those installation steps you refer to are what it takes to build curl and
libcurl from the standard source distribution archive. You, however, didn't
get one of those. You have downloaded a binary package pre-compiled for
Solaris 2.6 on Sparc.

Based on the 'pkg' part of the file name, I figure it means that you should
use 'pkgadd' and family to install this package in your system.

Jean, can you give us some more details?

> I do see a /curlssl/bin/curl-config, I tried that instead and I get
> prompted for parameters when I run it, I am not sure what to specify.

Yes, as that is not 'configure'. curl-config is explained in detail here:
http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/using/curl-config.html

If you have a compiler installed, getting a source archive and compile/build
using that is very easy.