Re: Problemsettingcertificatefile

From: Bjorn Reese <breese_at_mail1.stofanet.dk>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 20:59:25 +0000

Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> Well, that of course indiciates that the problem is related to multiple
> simultaneous threads. Still, I don't have many clues on what problem this
> could be. gethostbyname_r() in itself should be safe to use and AFAIK, all
> the structs and data that function uses are also multi-thread safe in
> libcurl.

Threads on HP-UX 10.x are implemented in user-space. Although
gethostbyname_r() is reentrant, maybe the underlying DNS resolver,
which resides in kernel-space, is not multi-thread safe per default?

Gilles, I would like to suggest that you check the documentation
on your compiler about how multi-threaded applications should be
compiled -- maybe a special option is needed, or you have to link
with a special version of libc (or wherever the DNS resolver is
located).