Re: get response from libcurl in curl::easy

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 09:30:17 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Cris Bailiff wrote:

> Georg added an internal (C/XS) version of the 'body callback', which just
> collects the body in a string, like your sample. I don't know the details
> of using it, but its described in the XS source (and I hope the pod
> file).

I don't really see the point in having one "built-in". I'd rather see the
normal stdout default and then offer/use the callback like this, in perl.

> I actually proposed making the interface more perlish, and supporting OO
> access around 1.1.2/3 in a quick wishlist discussion we had, but Georg
> preferred keeping the interface as 'C' like as possible.

Wasn't that more an argument to where the OO'ish stuff would be implemented?
If I understood things correctly, Georg argued against making the XS
interface OO. Instead we should make a layer on top of this lowest crude
layer. That would offer the biggest flexibility and it would match the
approach used in PHP and other languages. I'm in favour of a such approach.

> I think we should certainly wrap more of the functions and set up
> defaults more cleanly for script/library use. Setting up options in the
> 'new' constructor would be nice too..

Yes.

> Looking at this is certainly on my list for when I get a 'round tuit'...

I'm not a diciplined perl hacker, but I might have a go at this one of these
days unless anyone else gets there first.