RE: Problems on FreeBSD

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 11:13:59 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Lucas Adamski wrote:

> I ran it under gdb, and got the following:
>
> Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault. 0x28079685 in
> Transfer (c_conn=0x8075400) at transfer.c:162

That's about the same insane info (there's no code on that source line) that
we got from Oleg Bartunov when he did his attempts on FreeBSD. Archived here:
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2001-08/0086.html

Guys, I'm afraid FreeBSD is not a good OS selection to run multi-threaded
applications on. At least not with the pthread stuff. I did some googling on
the subject, and I found this informative message thread (dated May 2001)
from comp.unix.programmer that show a general consensus in the subject:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=sv&safe=off&threadm=87heyvmyfv.fsf%40erlenstar.demon.co.uk&rnum=7&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dfreebsd%2Bthread%26hl%3Dsv%26group%3Dcomp.unix.programmer%26safe%3Doff%26rnum%3D7%26selm%3D87heyvmyfv.fsf%2540erlenstar.demon.co.uk

It basically says you should use the 'linuxthreads' port or face the
concequences. It mentions the absense of threadsafe functions like
gethostbyname_r(), which of course is deadly for a library such as libcurl.

I could be completely wrong of course.