Re: need help in using curl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 15:49:22 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Satya wrote:

> I am trying connect to a server to which I am an authrised user
> using curl as
>
> curl -3 --user user:passwd
> https://ri2.rois.com/cgi-bin/GetSessionId.cgi?cmd=get_session_id&uid=111111&uip=1.1.1.1&gid=qsbg1
>
> I am getting the following error
>
> <error>
> <error_text>Syntax error in request</error_text>
> </error>

That is the html, or XML, of the returned page. It means that some program in
the other end didn't like what you send to it. It does not indicate a HTTP(S)
problem.

If you view the HTTP headers (use -i) you can verify that.

> When I try to connect from browser it is connecting correctly. The
> reply from the server will be in XML form. Can any one help me how can i
> connect to server and get the data.

You probably do something different from the browser. Or perhaps the program
in the other end tries to detect what browser you're using and since it
doesn't recognize curl as a browser it fails.

Another guess in the dark is that you should put quotes around the URL to
make it work.

--
     Daniel Stenberg -- curl dude -- http://curl.haxx.se/