Re: Perl API

From: Cris Bailiff <c.bailiff_at_awayweb.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 10:53:34 +1000

I do plan for an update to Curl::easy to make a more natural perl-OO style
interface, whilst keeping the existing interface for backwards compatibility. It
'almost but not quite' works with the existing setup, but I couldn't get it right
quickly enough to make the release last time.

Basically, there should be a new 'struct' which the XS can bless into a new
'CurlOO' object, and then all the method calls would hang off that - this is
necessary to properly support multithreading (whatever kind you're trying to run
in your perl...), which would break at the moment.

An update should move to using PerlIO throughout, rather than attempting to guess
what is STDIO and what might be 'something else' - basically, the object should
always use a callback, never the raw STDIO, and the default callback should use
PerlIO to 'print' to the perl STDOUT handles. This should make the XS glue more
abstract & portable as well - PerlIO deals with abstractions such as FastCGI and
gzip file handles etc as well.

The init (new) method should also set up a whole bunch of more reasonable
defaults for a sripted/library application (progres off, verbose off, callbacks
set upp etc. etc.)

Anyway, I've got the plans, I just haven't had the time recently... As soon as I
can find my tuit, I hope to progress.

If anyone really intends to do a good job on this, I'd love to discuss it here,
as I'm a heavy user of the perl interface, and wouldn't mind it being better at
all :-)

Cris