Re: License issues with base64.c in libcurl

From: Andrew Francis <locust_at_familyhealth.com.au>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 12:28:44 +0800 (WST)

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, Bjorn Reese wrote:
> There is no contradictions or related problems with the license of the
> base64 source code. It is fully compatible with the MIT/X and MPL
> licenses.

*blush* It appears I've gotten my knickers in a knot here ... for some
reason I was under the impression that distribution of software that uses
libcurl doesn't require that the libcurl license be reproduced in the
software's documentation - I've reread the licenses and stand corrected :)

I'm again confused, but in a different way. Could someone quickly outline
what I must do to comply with the curl license, to use it in a
closed-source project?

> However, the license (which resembles the original BSD license) is not
> compatible with the GPL license.

I'm not sure as to the nature of this conflict, and I'm getting a
license-induced headache, so I'll take your word for it :)

I've put a copy of my base64.c replacement at the following URL. I'd be
happy to cede copyright or whatever yucky legal stuff is required to make
this slot nicely into curl.

  http://members.iinet.net.au/~locust/base64.c

There's test harness code in #ifdef's at the bottom, testing on FreeBSD it
yields exactly the same output as the routines currently in curl.

--
Andrew Francis
locust_at_iinet.net.au