Re: copyright problems - resumable downloads

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 09:16:58 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 7 May 2001, John Spicer wrote:

> I have been told (by my boss) that any implementation of resumable
> downloads is copyrighted by another company and we'd have to pay
> royalties if we used it.
>
> Does anyone know about this?

I doubt this very much. Resumable downloads are widely used and deployed in
every download client worth its name and it is described in detail in
standards (including RFC959 and RFC2616).

Now, I'm sure you didn't mean "copyrighted" but "patented". Copyrights only
cover a particular implementation while patents cover concepts.

I actually searched the US Patent & Trademark database at
http://164.195.100.11/netahtml/search-bool.html but I couldn't find anything
that could even remotely be what you're talking about.

If you'd fall over some more details from your boss, we'll be interested...