designing multiple file support in libcurl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 15:02:20 +0100 (MET)

How would the interface work?

(This is cross-posted to both the curl mailing lists, the discussion of this
should probably be held in the libcurl list.)

I've been toying with the idea (and some source code) to make libcurl capable
of transferring any amount of files using the same socket connection. I
imagine I'd enable this at least for http and ftp, probably with ftp coming
first.

How would a libcurl-using dude want to add more than one URL? How should curl
do to signal the application when there's a another file coming?

When adding more than one URL there's this chance that the following URLs
aren't using the same server and then curl won't be able to use the same
connection for them. I thought I'd let the library find that out itself, so
that we can pass a long list of URLs and libcurl will download those in the
list that are on the same server, just skipping the rest.

Would it be enough to have a setopt() option that takes a linked list with
URL strings? Or should I just allow CURLOPT_URL being used multiple times?

Would it be enough if I introduced another callback hook that gets called
when a new file is being downloaded? It could have a few interesting
parameters as well as the one passed to the write callbacks.

We should also consider the effects on the reversed transfer, when uploading
multiple files to the remote server...

The mail is a bit chaotic, but so is my brain at the moment! ;-)