curl-and-php

Time-out changed?

From: Broekhuis,Robert R. <BROEKHRR_at_airproducts.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 07:55:19 -0400

My hosting provider recently upgraded their server (new system details:
PHP Version 5.2.5, libcurl/7.15.5 OpenSSL/0.9.8c zlib/1.2.3
libidn/0.6.5). Since then, some of my script are having trouble,
apparently because requests for URLs that are available don't time out
as they did before. In my scripts I define

   curl_setopt($ch,CURLOPT_TIMEOUT,30);

But I now find requests going for minutes without timing out, eventually
returning a cURL name lookup error. Did the timeout behavior change? (I
don't know what my previous libcurl version was, unfortunately)
I notice there is also the CURLOPT_CONNECTTIMEOUT setting - how exactly
does this differ from the general TIMEOUT setting?
Thanks for any help!
Rob