curl-and-php

Re: help me explain PHP/CURL

From: SysAdmin <SysAdmin_at_dogsoldier.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 08:07:54 -0600

I have to agree with Michael in pointing out that http://php.net/curl
does a reasonable job of documenting. I also agree that the problem is
not documentation but the "new users" and "instant web app developers"
cropping up everywhere on the net. My observation is that many of these
newbies hav fallen victim to a marketing misconception that if 'you buy
my super dooper product you can turn out great web apps in seconds'. The
jump into development without ever learning the basic programming
discipline and expect near instantaneous results. (For instance, how
many very good graphics people also bill themselves as web developers
despite never havin written a single line of original code?).

These folks scan, at best, documentation. When they have a question or
problem they immediately do one of two things:

1. google for an answer and take the first result regardless of the
appropriateness of the result to their situation.

2. post a question to a mail list and expect an immediate reply and
full code that they can dut and paste directly into their app.

The majority of these folks will never take the time to read all of the
documentation. Berar in mind that for many of these "new users"
programming is at best a necessary evil done part time or on a whim.

Personally, I would simple carry a bold faced statement saying that
"PHP/CURL is not curl nor libcurl", referring them to
http://php.net/curl and ignore the whiners.

Rich
Dogsoldier.com, LLC