curl-and-php

Re: reviewing headers and output

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 21:50:46 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Stephen Buckley wrote:

> I was wondering if there is 'best' method for reviewing the header
> information and output that gets cURLed. Currently, to confirm cURLed
> output, I will cURL to a page that has these lines has these lines in it:
>
> echo "Server Response: <p>\n: ".$_POST."<p>\n";
> print_r($_POST); // the output is an array

I'll repeat what I always say here:

  Use the command line tool to first work out how to curl, then convert that
  to PHP functions.

Using the command line tool, use -v and --trace to get to see every tiny byte
from the transactions.

(libcurl offers both CURLOPT_VERBOSE and the more detailed
CURLOPT_DEBUGFUNCTION to get this functionality, but the PHP layer doesn't
really offer any good usage of these.)

> Sometimes it is fine, but sometimes I will get completely nothing, knowing
> full well that data is being sent; plus this would only reply the data and
> no header information. I feel like, there has to be a better and more
> accurate way to achieve this, yes?

Another approach is to use a network analyzer tool, such as ethereal.

 [[ Do not post private mails to this email address. They won't reach me. ]]