Re: curl -u problem escaping special chars in password

From: Ray Satiro <raysatiro_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2018 16:23:38 -0400

On 10/3/2018 3:03 PM, Leo Lagos wrote:
> I've being testing some REST API with curl, and today I was given a
> different api-specific user to use. Problem is the password has some
> special chars.
>
> Now, this GET request works fine with my personal user. So method is OK.
> Also, this "apiuser" works fine in Postman.
>
> However, in curl I've been unable to figure out the correct escaping
> for -u:
> $ curl -stderr -u "apiuser:jsd2018%##" -G  http://*****
> AUTHENTICATION_DENIED</p>
>
> However, in Postman, I can see the correct result using same
> user/password.
>
> {
>     "size": 2,
>     "start": 0,
>     "limit": 50,
>     "isLastPage": true,
>    "values": [
>     ]
> }
>
> So, could someone please help me figure out the obvious error I'm making?

Are you using the cURL that's generated by postman [1]? That -stderr is
suspect did you mean --stderr <file>? Is the percent symbol a special
character in your shell? Try using single quotes instead of double
quotes and see if it makes a difference. Other than that maybe there is
some header or different method of authentication sent by postman.

[1]:
http://blog.getpostman.com/2016/02/03/curl-and-postman-work-wonderfully-together/