Re: Idea: master/client concept

From: Richard Gray <rgray_at_plustechnologies.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2018 09:46:34 -0400

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> Hey,
>
> This concept has been discussed a bit at both curl up conferences so far, so I
> decided it was about time to start jotting down some thoughts on how it could
> work:
>
> https://github.com/curl/curl/wiki/curl-tool-master-client
>
> It's a wiki. Feel free to add your ideas/thoughts.

Since it is along the same sort of line (keeping curl running with cached
connections, etc. between requests), I'll point at a suggestion I made back in
June of 2014 which is sort of the inverse of the master suggestion:

Scripting curl from the inside out (Re: curl the next few years)
https://curl.haxx.se/mail/archive-2014-06/0022.html

It proposes adding a --exec <program> option which would specify a program
(script) to be invoked after a transfer to analyze the result of the just
completed transfer and optionally start a new one.

Obviously, the m-c concept is more flexible and straight forward to use.
Suggestions (sorry no time to mess with wiki):

- Should be possible to just tell curl to use a master, start one if not
already done:
    curl --master <transfer>

- Master should have an inactivity timeout?
    curl --master-min 7 # start if needed, 7 min timeout
    curl --master-min 10 <transfer> # start if needed, 10 min timeout
    curl --master-sec 300 <transfer> # like above, better for testing!

- Should be an explicit stop command?
    curl --master-stop # stops a running master
    curl --master-stop <transfer> # stops master after transfer completes

- can master be made to stop when the shell that launched it exits?

- curlrc should be able to transparently cause the master to be used?

Rich