Fwd: Fwd: SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate

From: Arthur Yu via curl-users <curl-users_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2017 10:13:46 -0500

Hi Daniel,

Update: I tried to use the function outside VPN and it works. Now the
question becomes, how can I make it work if I'm inside company's VPN.
Again, the error code is

Error in curl::curl_download(cu, tmp, handle = h) :
SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate

I think the second line is the point.

My curl version from R:

$version
[1] "7.54.1"

$ssl_version
[1] "OpenSSL/1.0.2l"

$libz_version
[1] "1.2.8"

$libssh_version
[1] "libssh2/1.8.0"

$libidn_version
[1] NA

$host
[1] "x86_64-w64-mingw32"

$protocols
 [1] "dict" "file" "ftp"
 [4] "ftps" "gopher" "http"
 [7] "https" "imap" "imaps"
[10] "ldap" "ldaps" "pop3"
[13] "pop3s" "rtsp" "scp"
[16] "sftp" "smtp" "smtps"
[19] "telnet" "tftp"

$ipv6
[1] TRUE

$http2
[1] FALSE

$idn
[1] TRUE

Thank you!

> I used RStudio to install curl just by `install.packages(curl)`.

I don't even know what this is. RStudio is something for the R language,
right? So are you using the R binding to curl or the curl command line tool?

If the latter, what does "curl -V" show?

> Do you think there's a way to close SSL verification?

You can disable SSL verification with --insecure, but we really don't
recommend using that as a long-term fix as it makes the connection, yeah,
insecure.

Yours SIncerely,
Qianfan Yu