Re: What to ask ourselves this year?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2017 09:02:48 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 3 May 2017, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> There's soon time to run our annual survey to see what protocols we're
> using, what platforms people use curl on the most and of course what
> features people are missing the most.

I would like to know how many discussions or contributions we risk missing out
on or risk never see today by insisting on keeping project discussions/support
on the mailing lists and not in github issues or other "web forums". I
occasionally get told that mailing lists are "old technology" and user
hostile.

But I'm having a hard time to phrase that question in a proper way.

Two obvious, but still quite different, ways to ask:

  A) Should we allow discussions in github issues (and not only bugs) ?

  B) Have you ever decided NOT to write to the project with an idea or a
     topic because of the need to use a mailing list for that?

The problem with (A) is of course that I still wouldn't want to mix
discussions and bugs in the same tracker, so we would still need to steer
people to the right place. (Presumably a separate repo within the curl org for
that specific purpose.) And I really can't ask about specifics like that...

The problem with (B) is that even if you'd say YES doesn't necessarily mean
that the user would've submitted said idea/topic any other way either. Also,
it feels like a question lots of people can answer YES to, but maybe it is
good to have a small bar so that people think twice before submitting?

Ideas?