Re: documenting command line options

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2016 12:46:29 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 17 Dec 2016, Gisle Vanem via curl-users wrote:

> I tried to update my makefile to generate curl.1 from ./src:
> perl ../docs/cmdline-opts/gen.pl mainpage > curl.1
>
> It doesn't work; must be done in ../docs/cmdline-opts. Can gen.pl detect
> it's own directory and do the 'grep' from that?

I suppose I could let gen.pl accept an argument that tells it in which
directory to look for the files. But you can also just do something like:

   (cd ../docs/cmdline-opts/gen.pl && perl gen.pl mainpage) > curl.1

... that's how I currently do it in my local generate-manpage branch.

> Besides, 'groff -Tascii -man -P -c curl.1 ...', it triggers
> this warning:
> curl.1:259: warning [p 5, 1.0i]: cannot adjust line
>
> line 259: https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/mod_nss.git/plain/docs/mod_nss.html#Directives

Right. The NSS cipher list URL.

If you look at the old man page it also created a broken URL - just without a
warning. But perhaps more importantly: the URL in question leads to a HTML
page rendered as text! We should really get rid of that and instead point to a
better resource.

But where is a better resource? The NSS docs is really not optimal. The best
replacement I found is this:

  https://github.com/servo/nss/blob/master/tests/iopr/server_scr/cipher.list

... I think it is about time we make a listing of our own. :-/