Re: documenting command line options

From: Gisle Vanem via curl-users <curl-users_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2016 12:21:07 +0100

Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> My plan is to eventually have curl.1 generated in the build process so that we don't have to commit the generated file,
> but I think small steps forward is good here.
>
> Starting now, we edit the individual option pages instead of the curl.1 file.
>
> As always, if you find any problems in the man page or elsewhere, let us know!

I tried to update my makefile to generate curl.1 from ./src:
  perl ../docs/cmdline-opts/gen.pl mainpage > curl.1

It doesn't work; must be done in ../docs/cmdline-opts. Can gen.pl
detect it's own directory and do the 'grep' from that?

Besides, 'groff -Tascii -man -P -c curl.1 ...', it triggers
this warning:
  curl.1:259: warning [p 5, 1.0i]: cannot adjust line

line 259: https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/mod_nss.git/plain/docs/mod_nss.html#Directives

The 'curl -M' output for that looks like:
  https://git.fedora-
 hosted.org/cgit/mod_nss.git/plain/docs/mod_nss.html#Directives

Not sure there is any option to widen the output. Besides that, it looks okay.

--
--gv