Setting CURLOPT_MAX_RECV_SPEED_LARGE causes long pause in reception

From: JULIAN GARDNER <joolzg_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 09:37:41 +0000 (UTC)

I have a multifile multipart downloader for video services and I have just added a feature to allow the user to set the total maximum download rate, this value is calculated so that ALL parts are given a maximum download based on how may download instances are initiated.
Now my problem is this.
I start downloading a file and this sets the CURLOPT_MAX_RECV_SPEED_LARGE to 8MB/s, another download starts after 15 seconds and I set both downloads to 4MB/s. The 1st download now pauses because it is way over the 4MB/s speed I have asked for, the 2nd runs as it should, after X seconds the 1st starts again as its perceived rate is now below 4MB/s
So how do i fix this, is there a command to clear the counters and timers that regulate the download speed?
 Joolz