Re: Pruning the download page

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 20:15:54 +0200

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 07:47:48AM -0700, Merek Thorondursson wrote:
> I resurrect/use a lot of older computers and generally look for older versions
> that are compatible with them.  Can you not simply archive the versions as
> you've done, maybe even lump them by 'OS compatibiliy?'  The sky won't crash if
> you don't, but this cURL command line user appreciates your older versions,
> too.

I agree. Removing ancient versions will deprive some people of trying out curl
on some machines altogether and make it seem like running curl isn't even
possible in that environment. Maybe older versions could be de-emphasized
somehow or have a warning displayed about the dangers (unpatched security
issues), but I'd be annoyed if I couldn't download a binary for my favourite
obsolete system without a compiler when it exists somewhere on the net. Just
yesterday someone posted asking about a DOS version of libcurl, for example.

>>> Dan