Re: Getting SSL or TLS?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 22:55:11 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 10 May 2016, Jason W. Lewis wrote:

> I’m working on upgrading curl on some old HP-UX boxes. I’m testing the
> install of curl 7.34 on one of them and getting the following protocol info
> from curl –v. Can someone tell me if this thing is successfully negotiating
> TLS (and reporting it as SSLv3) or if it really is just getting SSLv3?

> I’ve noticed that v1.4x much more clearly shows a TLS connection, and I’m
> not sure if it’s just a difference in the way to the two versions report
> TLS, or if I really am getting SSL here.

The verbose output for the SSL/TLS versioning was fixed in 7.40.0 and before
that it would wrongly claim SSLv3 for everything that wasn't SSLv2...

A modern curl version (built with OpenSSL) outputs a line like this in the
verbose output to help users figure it out:

* SSL connection using TLSv1.2 / ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256