Getting SSL or TLS?

From: Jason W. Lewis <jwlewis_at_microcenter.com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 20:38:49 +0000

Hello all,

I’m working on upgrading curl on some old HP-UX boxes. I’m testing the install of curl 7.34 on one of them and getting the following protocol info from curl –v. Can someone tell me if this thing is successfully negotiating TLS (and reporting it as SSLv3) or if it really is just getting SSLv3?

* SSLv3, TLS Unknown, Unknown (22):
* SSLv3, TLS handshake, Client hello (1):
* SSLv2, Unknown (22):
* SSLv3, TLS handshake, Server hello (2):
* SSLv3, TLS handshake, CERT (11):
* SSLv3, TLS handshake, Server key exchange (12):
* SSLv3, TLS handshake, Server finished (14):
* SSLv2, Unknown (22):
* SSLv3, TLS handshake, Client key exchange (16):
* SSLv2, Unknown (20):
* SSLv3, TLS change cipher, Client hello (1):
* SSLv2, Unknown (22):
* SSLv3, TLS handshake, Finished (20):
* SSLv2, Unknown (20):
* SSLv3, TLS change cipher, Client hello (1):
* SSLv2, Unknown (22):
* SSLv3, TLS handshake, Finished (20):
* SSL connection using ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA

I’ve noticed that v1.4x much more clearly shows a TLS connection, and I’m not sure if it’s just a difference in the way to the two versions report TLS, or if I really am getting SSL here.

Thank you,

Jason Lewis
Unix Administrator @Micro Electronics, Inc.